In this case customer was a leading innovator and developer in the Set-Top Box (STB) system-on-chip (SoC) market. Analyzing its own testing procedure, customer found that it was very time consuming and error prone to confirm the software functionality according to the project specification during one testing cycle. First of all, frequent releases forced testers to speed up test execution, which left room for human mistakes and oversights. Secondly, reduced time between two consecutive software releases wasn’t leaving enough room to verify all required functionalities, inevitably leading to reduced quality of the final product. Taking into consideration the previously stated facts, our customer decided to to update its current testing system with the system that will allow automatic test case execution.
- Full functional testing of STB
- Automation of customer’s test cases
- Weekly release cycle
- Regression testing
- Approximately 600 tests are automatized
- All tests fully applicable on different chips with minimum effort
- Reduced human effort and influence during test execution.
- Reduced possibility of human error to minimum.
- Greater quality of the developed software.
- Automatic test execution with each release makes possible to deploy devices to the market in the shortest possible time.
- the grabber device
- versatile devices in the test environment (signal modulators, power switches, RC emulators, etc.)
- different algorithms for audio/video analysis from different STB outputs (SCART, HDMI, S/PDIF, etc.)
In addition, based on the test plan defined by customer’s R&D team, RT-RK engineers automatized nearly 600 test cases, used to verify the developed software. For verification purposes 4 test stations were installed. They are used to confirm the software functionality according to the project specification. Tests made for software verification on one chip generation are easily adapted to a new chip generation, thereby the effort needed to switch to a new platform or to compare performances of two platforms is significantly reduced.