Automated test development and execution tool
RT-Executor is a sophisticated tool for control, development and execution of BBT automated test solutions. It enables smooth integration with measurement instrumentation, signal generators and modulation equipment, data acquisition devices, all in plug & play manner. It contains a comprehensive set of libraries for video and audio data analysis, database benefits in reporting and multiple user/rights approach, and support for Python based scripting.
Features Go to top
- Hardware integration: RT-Executor seamlessly integrates third party and BBT instrumentation via RS232, LAN, GPIB, PCI, TCP/IP and USB interfaces as plug & play devices.
- Analysis: Access comprehensive set of built in functions and libraries for video and audio analysis.
- Double programming technique: Develop your test cases in BBT or Python like style. Use Python scripting quality, portability, support and integration mechanisms for a quick and facile start with RT-Executor.
- Multi-platform approach: Take advantage of Black Box Testing (BBT) concept of generalized device and use RTExecutor to test SOC and encased products.
- Data storage and reporting: Store your test results in a local database. Share them in HTML and Microsoft Excel format.
RT Executor provides seamless integration of various equipment (Figure 1): signal generators, modulators, instrumentation and data acquisition devices into a unique platform for test development and control. Test equipment usually comes with software and specific limited set of functions. When user wants to do more, e.g. to enforce reporting, or to deploy multiple devices into single test solution, he undertakes a challenging project, with uncertain outcome – which system integrators to use, where to find or whether to develop the appropriate driver yourself – a serious task of building a platform which overcomes the testing itself. With dozen of supported equipment items, that users may already have in-house, RT Executor offers cost effective, familiar, and performance optimized solution to provide the worry-free boost. On account of its generalized device approach, user will be able to intuitively and smoothly address any device from within the development environment, even though the physical platform may have changed dramatically – across different platforms and interfaces, various areas of use, and operating principles.
RT Executor supports third party equipment manufacturers of:
- Video generators
- Audio generators and recorders
- Audio and video capture devices
- Remote controllers
- Measurement, power supply and switching devices
For the full set of the supported devices, see the list of supported device drivers.
Double programming technique
If tests are developed in Python programming language, or user is comfortable programming in Python, RT Executor has ensured possibility to run those tests. Thanks to built-in Python interpreter, and supporting libraries developed using Common language runtime support (CLR) in C/C++ programming language in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 development environment, users can create, load, execute, and trace Python scripted tests within RT Executor GUI (Figure 2).
Keeping multiple platforms in the same tool chain gives a whole new meaning to the concept of interdisciplinary. With BBT automated solutions, every individual in the development process – from FPGA and microprocessor engineers, via embedded and application software designers, to algorithm developers and domain experts, use the same uniform, proved methods and tools for analysis, verification and reporting of their test results. This also decreases, by a high extent, time and effort spent on research of efficiency of algorithms, which would usually take a whole chain from the algorithm developer to embedded and FPGA engineer, and significant housekeeping, to track and optimize operations on each development level. High level of abstraction qualifies every subject in the process to use and deploy variety of devices, platforms and functions in their operations.
Data storage and reporting
Concept of reporting in RT Executor facilitates inclusion of all relevant data during test execution, such as information about device under test, tested features, links to detailed additional information, environmental data, date, tester, etc.
Use cases Go to top
Execution of test case steps:
- Load Test system configuration
- Initialization and control of input devices (generators)
- Initialization and control of output devices (grabbers)
- Configuration and control of Device Under Testing (DUT)
- Test scenario execution: semi-automatic or automatic
- DUT A/V output collection and processing
- Standalone execution of test scripts
- Running of test scripts from Intent+ web based tool
- Test plans creation and execution
- Scheduling test plans
- Test script creation
- Direct device commanding
Integration Go to top
- Intent+ integration – uses Intent+ services through SOAP Web Service
- Test plans loading and execution
- Usage of third part software tools in addition to complete test script creation
- Creating audio/video reference content for use in automatic test scripts
- Recording of RC commands for use with RC emulator device
Requirements Go to top
Windows® XP or Windows 7, 8 (32/64 bit versions supported)
- 2GHz Intel™ or AMD™ DualCore CPU
- 2GB RAM
- 100MB free disk space
Documentation and manuals Go to top
- Standalone Executor
- Test creation manual
- Tests samples
- 3rd party software
- CD with software installation and documentation
- USB node lock
- GUI Application
- Device Manager
- Device drivers (more than 50 drivers)